Sunday, November 1, 2009

Week 11: Dumas, Major, Chabon, Goldmark

Bienvenidos A Newport Beach by Firoozeh Dumas


The author Dumas was remembering when she was eleven years old and her father came home one day and announced to his family that they were moving to Newport Beach. She was not too happy about this move because she was tried of moving from place to place, this being the eighth place. Though after thinking about the place she now lived in compared to the neighborhood she was going to move to, she did not mind as much because Newport Beach was considered a place where the rich people moved. Then she describes in detail how Newport Beach was different from the place that she lived in before. For her even though Newport Beach was a planned community and had a lot of rules especially for the swimming pool, which was where she spent most of her time at, more than anyone in the neighborhood, she enjoyed living their. At the end she comments that her parents still live their and that they have never lost their pool key.

I like the sentence, the uglier the car, the more the owner is willing to share it with the rest of the world. (91) This seems to true and funny.

While reading this sentence it made me laugh first of all and also think of how that statement seems to be true because I see that a lot but then again I think it is a money issue because if we were all able to afford a house with a garage or even have the money to buy a nice car this probably would not occur as much.

I learned that there is a place called Newport Beach were rich people live.



Cotton Candy Mirrors by Devorah Major


Devorah Major was recalling the summers when she was a child; how days when they had nickels and dimes they would cross town to spend the day at Playland at the Beach. One day fee back then was only thirty-five cents and another fifteen cents for a candy bar and a drink. She tells about all the rides they have at Playland and the scenery there. Then she goes into detail about her favorite ride which was the Fun House and this was her only reason for making the long cross city trip to Playland. She liked it because she did not have to wait in a long line and sometimes the ticket person would let one enter even if they were short a couple of cents. The importance of this was the hall of mirrors because this was where she first learned about mirrors and here was where she learned about holding on and letting go. Also not to take reflection seriously and to use others eyes as mirrors and only the eyes that are clear and shine with laughter and love.

I’ve learned to use the eyes of others as my mirrors. But only those people whose eyes are clear and shine with laughter. (102)

When I read this it made me think of how true it is. Eyes are really like mirrors you can tell ones expressions and feelings by looking at there eyes and you can also see your own self in another’s eyes if you look deep enough and pay close attention. When reading this story it made me think of the Fun Houses at the fairs and carnivals. When I was younger they use to be my favorite and I would waste practically all my tickets on it. I also spent a lot of time in the hall of mirrors but I did not learn as much as this reader did.

I learned that back then the fees were way cheaper than now.



Berkeley by Michael Chabon


Chabon who lives in Berkeley is telling a story about the things in this town that drives him crazy but as insane as it might be he loves living there. All the things that drive him crazy are the things that make that town worth knowing, putting up with, worth loving and working to preserve for him. Chabon feels that part of the charm of Berkeley is in her settings. The hills, bays, businesses’, house’s and trees but mainly the quality that lies ultimately in the citizenry; one’s neighbors, the people of Berkeley and this is why he can’t imagine living anywhere else.

If that statement has the ring of boosterism, then permit me to clarify my feelings on the subject of my adopted home; this town drives me crazy. (106)

When reading this chapter it reminded me of how I feel about Santa Rosa. It seems very similar to his, this town seems to have grown over night and now it is overcrowded to me. As well as the different people who live here, every corner you turn, you run into people of all types. Like he says all the things that drive me crazy about this town is what keeps me here. I had a chance to move to Fresno closer to my family and I even gave my thirty day notice to leave and for some reason I was not able go. I wind up asking for my place back and finding excuses why it was best for me to stay here.

I learned a little about how Berkeley setting are and how the town is and that there is a place called Key West.



California Honky-Tonk by Kathi Kamen Goldmark


Kathi tells about how her band begun and about her bands first biggest gig in San Pedro. She remembers how they were not as ready as they thought they were and that they still did not even have a name for there band. While they were on there way to the gig they passed by El Rancho Motel and the guitarist of the band decided that this would be the perfect name because the band was like a third rate romance and low-rent like a motel. Not knowing that her first gig would be at a biker bar until they all started to arrive was when it downed on her that all the songs they rehearsed were not to the taste of bikers; then Lonesome Ed remembered the lyrics he had written on a napkin to a most-requested tune played on a jukebox in Sinbad’s Saloon called, “Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw”. Then from there on she has been in many bands and played in many clubs; her favorite one that became her bands home base was DeMarco’s 23 Club in Brisbane. The owner at DeMarco’s became her best friend and helps her through thick and thin including with her son. She also mentions her experience that she had with a biker named Lobo at the gig she had in San Pedro.

All four hundred, shaved-headed pounds of scary bellowing biker yelling, “I’m drunk, let’s screw!” into my microphone, as he picked me up in one enormous muscled arm and started walking toward the door. (118)

When I read this story it made me think of the amateur bands that play at clubs probably including ones that I have gone to. Maybe someday they will become big and famous. It also makes me wonder what there story is and the bad experiences that probably had to go through just to get ahead in the music business.

I also did not know there was a tune called, “Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw”.

Dumas and Majors stories were about experiences near a beach. Chabon’s story was about how he felt about the town he lived in. Goldmark ‘s story was about her experiences she had with her band and bars. They are all experiences within California but in different places and times.



Review:

1)

Alex- didn’t know that so many people died from the Caltrans.

2) Alexa- loves Hollywood and Seal Beach is not actually part of L.A.

3) Valerie- learned that when Caltrans workers would die on the job, they would put a white helmet by the road as a memorial.

4) Megan- learned of the three Hawaiian –blooded brothers that surfed in America for the first time in 1885.

5) Jared- said that Tobar’s story reminds him of his family trips to visit his cousins.

6) Araceli- Tobar’s story made her think of freeway 101 that she lives next to in Healdsburg.

7) Erin- learned that in Iraq people often drive north on southbound lanes and south on northbound lanes and speeds of 60 mph or more.

8) Jessica- Steinbeck’s story reminds her of the trip she took with her marine biology class to Ano Nuevo.

9) Judy- learned that California was known to be the home of Sasquatch.

10) Kyle- Warshaw’s story made him think of being in Canada for the first time at Whistler-Blackomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment